Posted by Administrator on 5/23/2012
Need a healthy snack while watching your weight? This recipe is perfect for you!
No fat, no added sugar, protein included and only 9 calories for
one! Or reduce the amount, make only 12 and still only 18 calories for
one! Fantastic I say!
They taste like an orange creamsicle! Do you remember those as a kid
sold from the ice cream truck? I do! I loved them. So these are pretty
similar, not quite like ice cream….. but hey….. for practically no
calories or fat they are just fine for me. Hope you think so too!
You may think the orange juice will be sweet enough for you and not
need any stevia or sweetener, but the vanilla extract is a must. Just
remember using the plain Greek yogurt is a bit tart on its own as well.
Another option is to use Greek yogurt that is flavored with vanilla.
But of course that has added sugars in it.
- If you are giving them to your children Popsicle sticks might be better to use than toothpicks.
- My mini ice cube tray held about 1/2 ounce or little less than a tablespoon in each cup.
- To get that orange color at the top of the pop, add a small amount
of frozen orange juice to the bottom of each mold, then add the yogurt
mixture on top.
- Any ice cube tray would work or look for a Popsicle mold if you like.
- If using a large Popsicle mold you will need to double the recipe.
- I recommend a silicone tray because it is easier to pop out the pops from the bottom using your thumb.
- I found this cute heart shaped ice cube tray that holds a dozen.
Kitchen Collection Silicone Heart Ice Tray
- 1 cup Greek Yogurt, plain
- 1/2 cup frozen orange juice from concentrate, no added sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Sweetleaf Vanilla Creme Stevia
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Mix the yogurt in a bowl with the orange juice.
- Once well blended add the stevia and vanilla extract.
- If you want the orange color at the top of the pop, add some frozen juice to the bottom of each cup first.
- Pour the yogurt mix carefully into each ice cube cup.
- Insert a toothpick into each.
- Freeze for 3 hours or until hardened.
- When ready to serve, let them sit on the counter for a minute or
two, then from the bottom push up and they should pop out easily.